Jun 16, 2012

Guilty Pleasures, by Laurell K. Hamilton

Title: Guilty Pleasures
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Reading Level: Adult
Pages: Paperback - 265
Chapters: 47
Genre: thriller / fantasy
Series: Anita Blake Vampire Hunter:
1-Guilty Pleasures, 2-The Laughing Corpse, 3-Circus of the Damned
Person: First
Tense: Past
Rating: 9/10

Blurb (quoted):
“’I don’t date vampires. I kill them.’
My name is Anita Blake. Vampires call me the Executioner. What I call them isn’t repeatable.
Ever since the Supreme Court granted the undead equal rights, most people think vampires are just ordinary folks with fangs. I know better. I’ve seen their victims. I carry the scars…
But now a serial killer is murdering vampires – and the most powerful bloodsucker in town wants me to find the killer…”

Opinion:
To be honest, I was quite worried picking this book up. I haven’t had much success finding adult books on vampires that aren’t all sex, and I am aware that this particular author has another book series that isn’t exactly suitable for a younger audience, so typically I didn’t have high hopes for this one.
I must say, I was pleasantly surprised! There is the barest of hints at such content, but it’s certainly suitable for a mature audience – 13+? (Though I can’t vouch for sequels just yet). There is a touch of romance but it doesn't run wild through the story.
I was almost immediately drawn into the book. It has my favourite kind of vampires – the dark, dangerous and sexy kind – with some Shapeshifters and zombies thrown in. Best of all would have to be the snarky, sarcastic protagonist.
Definitely a favourite book and I recommend to anyone who is mature and looking for a bit more than the sappy teen romances hogging the shelves of teen-fic.

No comments:

Post a Comment