Feb 9, 2012

Demon in My View, by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Title: Demon in My View
Author: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Target Audience: Young Adult
Pages: 176
Rating: 7.5/10
Genre: Vampire Romance
Person: Third
Tense: Past

Blurb (quoted):
(None)

Summary:
Jessica Alodola has been writing novels about vampires and witches for a few years before one is accepted for publishing and soon comes out under a pen name.
What Jessica doesn’t know is that her ideas that come from her dreams are all real and the vampire’s who’s lives she’s allowed humans to read about aren’t happy about it. It’s not too long before there are bids for her blood and Jessica comes face to face with her favourite fictional character: Aubrey, a decidedly dangerous vampire.
Aubrey is supposed to be hunting Jessica. Instead, he finds himself fascinated by her unexplainable knowledge and obvious ignorance about the world she writes about without a missing a single detail.
But when the attacks start on her life, both Jessica and Aubrey are forced to make some tough decisions – and along the way discover a few new things about both themselves and the past.

Judgement:
I owe a lot of credit to this book; I first read it when I was thirteen, when I was only beginning to discover my book-worm-ish nature, and have since read it several more times. However, this time I found out that the author was around fourteen when she wrote it and decided it would be interesting to reread it, this time in a critical manor, and noticed that the writing style and form is noticeably young-minded, though it sure didn’t affect my enthrallment or adoration of the book.
There are a few poems in the book that were fun and interesting to read and attempt to comprehend, which makes me smile.
The story is a mystery, the puzzle coming together piece by piece as the story progresses, so your mind is continuously flitting around the information to try and figure it out before the author wants you to (which is at the end). The characters have very strong personalities, and there is a bit of development and change by the end.
Though quite typical, it’s an enjoyable read and I loved it – even now, after three or four years and reading it eight times.
It’s a great read probably for more beginner-novel-readers, rather than those who are more mature – though I still enjoyed it, but I might be a little biased because I’ve always loved it.
However, I have to say that the book hasn’t done itself any favours by not including a blurb on the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment